Saint John Nepomuk Catholic Parish dates back to 1889 and a small Indian Territory community called Frisco. The town of Yukon was founded in 1892 but Saint John’s Parish had its beginning with the Catholic community of Frisco.
On April 26, 1952, Father F. Meis was appointed resident pastor of Saint John Nepomuk. It was under Father Meis’ inspiration that parishioners began seriously considering opening a parochial school. Ground breaking for the new school took place on October 13, 1952. Just one year later, Bishop Eugene McGuinness dedicated the new school building at 8th and Oak in Yukon, Oklahoma.
School opened on September 1, 1953 with 50 children enrolled in grades first through sixth. It was a four-classroom school staffed by two Carmelite Sisters from Villa Teresa, Oklahoma City. Sister Helena Heinly, CST was the first principal of the new Saint John Nepomuk Catholic School. The Carmelite Sisters from Villa Teresa serves Saint John’s from 1953 to the summer of 1989. Sister Maria Francesca Forst was the last Carmelite Sister to serve as Principal of Saint John in 1988-1989.
Father James Ross became pastor in 1956. It was during this pastorate that Saint John School graduated its first eighth grade class of five students.
Just as the parish outgrew its first church and a newer and bigger structure was dedicated on May 16, 1961, the school outgrew its first home as well. The present school structure, cafeteria and parish offices were completed in 1963. Sister Imelda, CST was the first principal in the new school, which stands at 600 South Garth Brooks Boulevard in Yukon, Oklahoma.
During the 1961-1962 school year, a Parish Board of Education was established. It was learned that Saint John had the first Catholic Parochial School Board ever to exist in the United States.
During the 1960’s, children from St. Joseph’s Orphanage in Bethany, Oklahoma were bussed to Saint John’s for classes. After the Orphanage was moved across Oklahoma City enrollment dropped. 1968 was the last eighth grade graduation class until 1999-2000. During the 1998-1999 school year, Saint John again began seventh grade with eighth grade to open the following year.
Once again the school and parish outgrew their facilities and more room was needed. Ground was broken the summer of 1998 to begin construction of the new Parish Activity Center which housed a gym, large parish meeting room, conference room, youth room, Knights of Columbus room and eight classrooms.
The 2003-2004 school year saw the celebration of Saint John’s 50th anniversary and plans to remodel the school cafeteria and Parish Activity Center to better fit the needs of the parish and school.
The summer of 2004 brought wonderful improvements to the Saint John facility. The west end of the PAC building underwent a transformation to become a new commercial kitchen. The former cafeteria and gym were brought to new life as Marian Hall, the new parish hall. The elementary building upgraded security by enclosing the school’s main hallway, as well as the breezeway connecting the two buildings, plus the addition of new bathrooms for the students at the north end of the building.
Beginning with the 2004-2005 school year, Saint John experienced its newest addition to the school, a full-day, five days a week Pre-Kindergarten program for four-year old students.
The sounds of construction could be heard once again during the summer of 2005. This time the school would see the merging of its library and computer lab into a true Media Center housed on the second floor of the PAC building. Due to the success of the 2004 and 2005 auctions, the completion of this space was ready for the 2005-2006 school year, complete with a significant technology upgrade that included the purchase of over 50 new PC’s for the media center and classrooms.
During the 2008-2009 school year, Saint John welcomed the return of three-year old students. The students attended class in the elementary building for a full-day, five days a week program.
2016 brought an exciting new technology initiative to Saint John. Each student in middle school, was supplied with a laptop computer to use throughout the school day. Our elementary students also shared in this new technology by having a laptop cart with 24 computers and printer for use at any time. This ensured that students at Saint John would be equipped with the experiences in technology that are necessary to be successful in high school and beyond.